Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Changing up the Penthouses

The guys at the42 are changing around some of the penthouse units. Here is what things looked like originally:


Most of the penthouse units have 2 floors (all except M, N and L). They're taking the main floor of R, Q and X and making them into one unit (called Z). The upper unit of X will be one unit (still called X) . The upper units of R and Q will change a bit, but still called R and Q. Here's what it looks like:

Good thing they have one letter left to name the new unit :)

With this plan, they need to have the elevator go up to the 6th floor. For R, Q and X, the elevator would open right into their unit!! That's kinda cool.

I think that the motivation behind this is to create a few more affordable units on the penthouse. Demand hasn't been quite as high on the 2 level penthouses (not many people can afford a $450,000 condo .... if I could I'd so be there).

As for the floor plans, I have seen them, but I'm not sure if they'd want me posting them up here ... If you want to see them, just email them .. they're nice folks.

I will say:
  • Z is amazing, but it's 1488 square feet interior and 400 square feet of balcony ... so it has a big price tag.
  • They use the long narrow space of X surprisingly well .. but there is a little wasted space with 2 short hallways. Some people might like that ... put art in there or whatever.
  • Q is pretty good ... except there is no balcony ... major issue for me, but maybe you don't care about balconies.
  • R ... could go either way. I saw a few different layouts, some better than others.
Crap ... I just noticed that I drew Z a little bit wrong ... there are stairs coming down from Q, X and R (each has their own stairs down to the 5th) and so you basically need to take a stairway width off of the "top" of Z, except in the middle which is Z's entrance ... make sense? Whatever, it's basically right.

So anyway, they offered me the option of changing into one of the newly created units ... I'm hyped about my unit (the M), so I declined.

I do have to admit ... I thought about swiching ... having the elevator open right into your unit would be pretty sweet .. dontcha think?

2 comments:

onassar said...

Hey, what kind of software do ya develop?

Brian Pearson said...

Hi Oliver .. I work for Desire2Learn .. we have products that enable online teaching and learning. Most of our clients are in higher education.