Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Changing the Floorplan - Part 2

Awhile ago I posted about changing my condo's floorplan. Since that post, I've been through several exchanges with the developer to settle in on the best possible layout.

It turns out that I can do everything that I asked for, which I'm pretty excited about. They've even gone to the trouble to send me 9 or 10 options and we've gone back and forth on them. Here is where we ended up:


I almost had them put in a cheater en suite for the second bedroom .. but some friends convinced me that it would be stupid.

Notice the improvements:
  • The den is open. I will now have 30 feet of continuous window .. and a bit more around the corner too.
  • The HVAC unit has moved (it will be above one of the bathrooms).
  • The swing doors to the balcony have been replaced by sliders.
  • The sink and the dishwasher have been moved (want more counter space beside the stove).
  • The common closet is closer to the front door.
  • The second bedroom is a bit bigger and now has a walk-in closet.
Disadvantages:
  • Near the washer/dryer, it is maybe a little weird how the bathroom juts out more than the bedroom.
  • The door to the bedroom is a little more awkward .. it takes up a bit of the wall space that will be the living area.
  • Cost. Yes, this is not a free change.
So ... how much?

They tell me it will cost $1000 for the changes and $250 for the architect to redraw the plan. The thousand is because of the building plans and is mostly to do with plumbing. Is this reasonable? I have no idea .. but they tell me they aren't profiting on this at all, they're just passing the cost on .. and I believe them.

Actually, I've been really impressed with this whole process. I never once felt like I was hassling them .. just the opposite .. they put a lot of thought into the options and helped me think them through.

I need to commit soonish ... so if anyone out there in internet land has any thoughts .. don't hold out on me.

2 comments:

pamagrama said...

New plans look pretty good...my only concern would be the width of the den (is it only 6" wide?)...the idea of opening that up is great, but on the otherhand will it look odd only being that wide? What would you use that space for once it's opened up?

Brian Pearson said...

The den is 6'11 (you can click the picture to make it bigger, the measurements are clearer then)

Maybe it'll look odd .. it's hard to picture. Hopefully the awesome floor to ceiling windows are enough to distract you from any oddness :)

Maybe think of it as a nook. Nooks are cool.

As for what to use it for .. it will have a desk and computer .. that wouldn't change with or without the wall.