Thursday, May 29, 2008

Marketing for the42

disclaimer: I don't know squat about marketing, these are my random observations.


One thing that I thought was cool was that the42 has it's own Facebook group. Makes a lot of sense .. their target market being young professionals. It seems like a valuable, easy (not to mention free) marketing/sales tool. Here's why this is so awesome:
  1. Easy way to share updated information about their product and keep people interested (I know that I kept going to the Facebook group eagerly anticipating updates)
  2. Engage people before the sales centre even opens. They sold something like 70% of their units on opening weekend and I bet this was a factor.
  3. Viral marketing. You know how in Facebook when one of your friends joins a group and you see it in your News Feed .. hmm, i wonder what that group is all about .. click .. join .. more News Feeds ..
  4. Cool by association. Facebook = young/trendy ... the42 is on Facebook ... therefore the42 = young/trendy ... well, something like that.
Someone on the Facebook group suggested that they setup a group just for the buyers .. that way we can meet our neighbours before we move in .. this is a great idea .. they tell me that they will be doing this at some point soon.

Anyway, back to marketing ... this isn't the only marketing they've done .. for awhile it seemed like every bus stop in town had an ad for the42. Whenever I told anyone that I'd bought a condo at the42, they invariably thought for a minute and said "oh ya, I saw those ads on all the bus stops".

They also dabbled in some online advertising. They had Google Ads and Facebook ads .. incidentally, they told me that the Facebook ads were far more effective for them .. can't remember why though .. but I thought that was interesting.

And they did other advertising .. the local paper and so on.

So what did their advertising get them? A fantastic opening weekend, with pretty much all units selling (except some penthouses), and huge waiting lists to boot.

2 comments:

Michael J. Swart said...

I see their ads in facebook now and then. My guess is that Facebook has a better handle on where people are from than any the other ads.

Andrew said...

Congrats on the buy! Seems like there are lots of young professionals buying up condos (I'm also a programmer and bought a Kaufman Loft).

They marketed it very well, looking forward to seeing how the building turns out!